Thursday 7 February 2013

What's in a name?

What's in a name?
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Shakespeare, undeniably a clever fellow.

Anyway, the story behind the name of this blog is one of a good idea, followed by a complete lack of concentration. The good idea was playing on the Latin phrase for 'remember death', being as how that's what this blog is all about. Along with taxes, it's one of the few certainties in life, so there really isn't any point pretending it's not going to happen. On the other hand, it's not necessarily the jolliest of subjects, so anything that can make light of death, or portray it in such a way that it becomes a bit more of a manageable topic, is surely a good thing.

So, Memento Maureen was born... Except that's not the name of the blog, now is it, beautiful reader? No.

You see, as made quite clear in that very first blog, I was not only creating a blog that was going to change people's very conception of death, the undead, and the afterlife (I aim high), but I was also watching The Grey, which I promise to stop going on about at some point. Anyway, there was I, creating history (like I said, I aim high), while Liam Neeson was attempting to keep a rag-tag bunch of oilers awake in a cold, wolf infested forest, and frankly my attention wandered and I ended up writing 'momento' instead of 'memento'.

Oops.

I suppose I could have passed this off as some kind of 'Beatles' type pun, but frankly I've already written it all down now, so I might as well come clean. I did google Memento Maureen to see if it was worth my while changing the name of the blog, but alas, and probably quite predictably, it has already been used in all manner of circumstances. So maybe it was a blessing in disguise, and maybe one day this will be a funny little story about how it all began. Also, it's clearly a lesson in the importance of learning to walk and chew gum (although one I haven't learnt because I'm watching TV while writing this).

So, now that I've come clean I feel we can continue on our journey through the dark paths of life and death with nothing to come between us (except maybe the cat who has just come to sit under my arm.)
WebRep
Overall rating
This site has no rating
(not enough votes)
WebRep
Overall rating
This site has no rating
(not enough votes)

No comments:

Post a Comment