Wednesday 21 August 2013

The Five Step Solution to Pointless Flapping

I managed to get myself in a totally unnecessary flap today. It started when I discovered that I have left my new skirt down in Plymouth. Then, while looking for my oyster card I realised that I had left it in my jeans pocket, the very same jeans that were, at that very moment, whirling around in the washing machine. It was one of those days in which everything took more time and energy than I thought it would, and I didn't really end up doing most of the things I had planned.

However, instead of this post turning into a session in which I moan at and about myself, here are some of the things I do to stop myself feeling stressed. Take note, this may be as close as I ever come to writing a self-help book.

1) Take a deep breath and remember that I have plenty of time tomorrow to dye my hair and make some biscuits, and even if those things don't happen, it's not the end of the world. The hair and biscuits elements are pretty specific to today's flap, but taking a deep breath and putting things in context is always a good idea.

2) Make a list. Now, I'm not really much of a list writer, but even just taking a moment and mentally listing what needs to get done can make everything seem a lot less scary and more manageable.

3) Go on YouTube and watch something a bit cheesy but fun. Today, I have chosen Don't Worry Be Happy by Bobby McFerrin and it is making me feel a million times better.

4) Play with one or more of my pets. I've cuddled the kittens and Tommy. I'm fairly certain scientists have proven this to be good for you, so you don't just have to take my word for it, but it really is very hard to feel stressed when there's a cute little creature on your knee.

5) Finally (because I like things going in fives, and I dislike long blog-posts) put something random and enjoyable on the TV or whatever entertainment device you prefer, and just allow yourself to become immersed in something completely meaningless, but really fun. I've watched a lot of Australian MasterChef this evening, and now I'm going to hop on to Netflix and watch an Arrested Development or two.

There, isn't that better. Flap over.

I'm off to FrightFest tomorrow (yay!). I'll let you know what's good from that next week, once my mind and body have recovered a little bit. Oh, and I'll tell you all about the Plymouth Wrestling Association, which I was going to write about today until my flap started.

No comments:

Post a Comment