Sunday 16 June 2013

Bravery

There's a story that goes around universities. It's all about a philosophy exam that poses the question, "What is bravery?" One student boldly writes, "This is" and nothing else on their paper and receives a first. Now I'm fairly certain that this is an urban legend, no matter how much I would love it to be true.

My own personal answer to "What is bravery?" is me, deciding to watch Killer Klowns from Outer Space all by myself.

I'm not afraid to admit that I am scared of clowns, maybe someday I'll write more extensively on the subject, for now let's just remember that they are evil and eat babies. Fact. Right now, we're talking about bravery.

So, there I was, thinking that I wanted to watch something scary, a cult classic, a must see film for horror fans, and I was prepared to jump out of my seat, to hide behind a cushion/kitten and possibly have nightmares, but instead I learned a valuable lesson.

That lesson was that if you pluck up the courage to do something, you often find that it wasn't as bad as you thought it was going to be. Killer Klowns from Outer Space was silly and fun. The Klowns are less scary than the non-alien variety because they are guys in big foamy costumes (I'm so technical) rather than human beings gone all clowny and wrong.

I could also have told the same story about Eight Legged Freaks. Not as scary as an arachnophobe would have imagined. Now someone just has to make a film about Clown-Spiders or Spider-Clowns and we're on for a really challenge.

Oo, and my super-cool fact? Suzanne Snyder, who plays the female lead in Killer Klowns, is also Deb in Weird Science! Now that's a pretty cool career.

No comments:

Post a Comment