Thursday 14 March 2013

An Homage to Guy de Maupassant

I sat on my sofa that evening and could not decide what to write in my blog. Oh, how it tormented me! The indecision pulling me in so many directions I thought I should be ripped into pieces!
Then a moment of revelation! I had recently read a short story by Guy de Maupassant in a collection named Zombies edited by one Otto Penzler. Surely here I would find my salvation! I could write about this story with ease. A French author could surely only add a touch of class to my writing. The story is named Was it a Dream? and is the tale of a man whose beloved has died! died!!!! After catching a terrible chill! He visits her grave at night only to see the dead crawling from their coffins, scraping away the beautiful words etched upon their gravestones and replacing them with the terrible truth. Oh, what a awful sight to behold!!!!!!!!! What will his lover now have written above her final resting place?! Is any of this even real?!!!! Will the writer find himself lost within the forest of exclamation marks he has planted upon the page!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, dearest reader, I cannot bring myself to answer those questions because even now I hear the exclamation marks trying to scurry off the page! I fear they have infested my brain and I might never be free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They found me, unconscious, on the sofa the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment