Tuesday 14 January 2014

Horror for Kids #4: 13 Reasons to Love the BFI

Okay, so I probably ought to have written something about the BFI Gothic season before now, but I didn't, so let's just get over it.

Anyway, I was on the BFI website (pretty gothic itself) and I noticed this link. If you can't be bothered to click on it, then it's the 13 Gothic films that children ought to have seen by the time they're 13.

How exciting! I'm all for getting kids into horror, it's both character building and good for the soul. How wonderful to find an actual proper institution doing the same thing, even if they have snuck it in under the guise of education.

I'm not sure how many of these I had seen by the time I was 13, and actually one of them came out once I had already passed that age, but if you have, or know, any kids, pass this on to them. I've not seen all of them myself, but am definitely planning to.

So, here are the films, and maybe I'll start a new, probably quite irregular series, where I tell you what I think of them. Furthermore, because I love you all so much, any that are available to watch legally online will have a link to them.

1) The Mistletoe Bough (1904)
2) Nosferatu (1922)
3) Rebecca (1940)
4) La Belle et la Bete (1946)
5) Hansel and Gretel (1955)
6) The Night of the Hunter (1955)
7) The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
8) The Sandman (1992)
9) The Mummy (1959)
10) The Innocents (1961)
11) Night of the Demon (1957)
12) The Elephant Man (1980)
13) Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment