Friday 24 January 2014

Angel-Rose

Last Saturday, finding myself at a loose end, I went to a study day on Gothic Style at the BFI. I'm so loving their Gothic Season and am both sad that it's ending, annoyed that I didn't go to see more things, and slightly worried that the fact such a major institution is celebrating the Gothic, means that it's probably about to go out of fashion and soon it'll be much harder to buy cool stuff with skulls on.

Anyway, it was a really interesting day, looking at Gothic style in the movies, in various sub-cultures and in high-fashion. There was far too much interesting stuff to write about here (including the fact that the skinny trouser is the largest contribution of the Gothic to male fashion, and a surprisingly interesting dissection of the videos of Lady Gaga that nearly led to some Goth on Goth violence, but made me appreciate her more as performer, if not as a singer).

It occurred to me that if I was going to share one thing with my Beautiful Readers, then I wanted to share Angel-Rose. She is a performance artist in a style she refers to as Disco Goth, combining the transcendent joy of Disco with an appreciation for, and fascination with, the Dark Side (it felt right to capitalise that, although now it looks like I'm talking about Star Wars). Her work is really fun, quite silly, and all about revelling in our own fabulousness. I don't cope very well with people who take themselves too seriously (for example, the anti-Gaga French Goth Lady). It seems to me that Angel-Rose, through her short, music video style films, is the antithesis of that. The music is camp, the out-fits are over-the-top and the make-up is fantastic.

Thanks to the age we live in, Angel-Rose does, of course, have a website, where you can watch all but her most recent film. I strongly urge you to visit www.iloveangelrose.com and I really hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment