Friday 20 September 2013

Horror for Kids #2: Monsters Univerity

I could've sworn I'd written another Horror for Kids blog. I think what happened is that I've watched lots of creepy kids movies, but when I've come to actually writing a post, something else has popped into my mind. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, and all that. Ho hum. I guess all those other reviews can stay up my sleeve as something for a rainy day when all other blog-related ideas have failed me.

I don't usually go and see kids films at the cinema. I don't have any kids to use as an excuse and most of my cinema-buddies are more likely to pick an 18 than a U, so it was quite nice when a friend suggested going to see Monsters University. You can't go wrong with Pixar, and this was no exception to that rule. Monsters Inc was really fun in inventing a world powered by the screams of children. They got us all rooting for the monsters that frightened us when we were little; the creature under the bed, the thing in the closet. Seeing monsters running away from a little child was hilarious, and oddly comforting.

Monsters University takes us back to that world, giving us more detail on the lives of Mike and Sully. It's the typical story of the underdog trying to prove he can fulfill his dreams; a tale of unlikely friendships forged in adversity. There are all the characters you might find in a highschool comedy, (jocks, cheerleaders, nerds) only with added tentacles. The whole thing is really well done, the animation is ludicrously brilliant, to the point where I really couldn't tell whether some of it was real or not. I found myself genuinely caring about what happened to the characters. They even managed to surprise me at the end. The message they're leaving the kids (and us adults) with wasn't the one I thought they'd go for.

So, if you loved the original you will also love this. In fact, I kind of wished I'd watched it first because there were quite a few references to it, and I'm sure I didn't spot them all. It's not scary, but it is really fun, and Mike as a little kids is one of the cutest things I've ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment