Wednesday 31 July 2013

The World's End: A Review

Before I begin, Beautiful Reader, a round of applause to you all. I just realised that my blog has had 1000 page views! Now, that may be very small potatoes compared to actual internet sensations, and I'm sure most of those views were by the same people, but a nice round number always makes me happy, so I wanted to say thank you.

THANK YOU!

Okay, now to the business at hand.

Let's set the scene of my trip to the cinema. I have loved Simon Pegg since Spaced and Hippies in 1999. I know from bitter experience that most of you won't remember that second title, but it was an awesome sitcom about, well, hippies and should definitely be checked out by all. Assuming that they aren't running some kind of international crime ring, I truly believe that Pegg and Edgar Wright can do no wrong. Even if they are, in fact, gang bosses, I bet they're really nice about it and have very good reasons for what they do. Shaun of the Dead is one of my favourite films of all time.

Now, those are some pretty heavy expectations to lay at the door of The World's End, but at no point did I bother to try dialing those expectations down, because I knew that the final instalment of The Cornetto Trilogy wouldn't let me down.

And it didn't.

I went to see it in my favourite slightly scummy local cinema (if the Cineworld Hammersmith ever refurbishes, I may shed a little tear) and had amazing seats. The front row of Screen 3 is far enough away to just feel like you're at home with a really, really big TV. I had some chocolate. It was fabulous.

All my expectations were met. I laughed, I cried (I'm a softy, deal with it), and I left thinking how I couldn't wait to get it on DVD so I can have a Cornetto triple bill. It may not have zombies but (no spoilers) there is another of my favourite things in it, and one of the best fight scenes I've seen in ages!

All I can think right now is that I really want to go and see it again, and that thought is distracting me!

It had an amazing soundtrack, a great story, and I walked out of the cinema feeling bloody awesome. What more could you ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment